Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tue, 10 July
*getting off the path, you experience the forest in a much different way
*When setting up a lesson for students, ask them to look around and say what they think the answer might be before the data is collected & analyzed--a hypothesis
*so many plants to identify--focus on shrub & herbaceous layers

Forest composition data crunching today. In the science-focused classes the numbers crunching was usually more complex so this simple exercise was a nice review. It was fun watching others figure out how to read the data and then what it all meant.

The hike through BHW was fast although we spent 2 hours doing a scavenger hunt. Seeing many of the features mentioned in Tom Wessel's book like the coppiced trees was great. The highlights for me were seeing beautiful plants I could not identify, the re-sprouting beech trunk, finding clethra beside the beaver pond and the old homestead with Alice's headstone. I'm really looking forward to exploring that site more. 



2 comments:

  1. That site was really interesting, a lot of history. I would like to go back there one more time, I think on the way to the beaver pond we may be able to. Where was the re-sprouting beech?? I don't think I saw that one on the scavenger hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also appreciate the Clethra by the pond. Maybe this week it is blooming! It is such a pungent plant.

    Stump sprouting is widespread at BHW. This is surely a sign of former logging in the area.

    ReplyDelete