Friday, July 20, 2012


19 July
*Learned I need to get a better grasp on tree physiology and function
*Learned (again) that I need to cultivate patience
*Reminded about the joy of being with and seeing nature

Today Sam did her facilitated reading on Wessels 3rd chapter. I particularly liked the activity where we drew a forested landscape, swapped drawings with the other group and made up a story about the picture and told it to the class. I liked the other group’s idea of the character being the old white pine thinking about his missing neighbors (killed in a forest fire) and its philosophical conversation with an even older tree, its grandmother.  I’m tickled by our story, set in 1928, of Penelope the herbalist who is scouting and collecting from the forest to make fermented birch/wintergreen beer and collect chestnuts. She plans to sell them and make a little extra money because NH is in an economic slump prior to the Great Depression and the Prohibition is in force.

The best part of the day:
Out at the plot we went a little wild during our “beyond the plot” journaling. We ran around looking at this-that-and-the-other and…forgot to write. But we took a lot of pictures! Here are a few of our finds:

Canadian Mayflower in seed--speckled!
White pine and sassparilla seeds

Laura & Dan...having so much fun they forgot to journal :)

Wessels rot-resistant branches in a white pine snag


We’ve all got so many thoughts and ideas running around upstairs. As I listen to and participate in conversations I find myself thinking more about my responses than listening to the other person. Last week I found a small piece of paper. It said:

Power Listening
Don’t interrupt
Listen for main ideas
Fight distractions
Substance not style
Stifle anger
Take brief notes
Let others talk first
Empathize
Withhold judgment
React to message not messenger
Read feelings between lines
Ask questions
It’s about understanding

Someone sure knew what I would need before I did and made sure I had it. One hour later… Power Listening reminded me of my quote diary. I’ve collected a lot of environmental and teaching quotes over the years. Here are a few that struck me tonight:

~Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.
        —Confucius

~I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respect her seniority.
        —William Westmoreland or E.B. White

~And forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play in your hair.
         –Kahlil Gibran

1 comment:

  1. Look at the pine! I love how Wessels' chapters are so accessible out in the woods. It really is a guide to the landscape, and is obviously such a teaching tool.
    I love the quotes you posted. Isn't it true that some of the best children's authors are environmentalists at heart? I find that comforting.
    I loved your facilitation last week, by the way! It was engaging and such a good example of inquiry-based teaching.

    ReplyDelete