Friday, July 20, 2012

July 16
*Review of invasive issues was a treat esp. the glossy buckthorn--such an innocuous plant
*Finally! I learned how to distinguish low bush blueberry from young burning bush
*Loved the process of compiling questions then condensing them to help us focus on a project topic. A neat method to come to consensus while being mindful of people's contributions.

Brought the corpse of an autumn olive shrub I had gurdled in May-ish to class today. I thought I had cut it up good, but it kept on growing..."La-di-da! Didn't you hear? I'm an invasive--tough to impossible to kill!"  The old leaves were fragile looking and many had fallen off. But there was tremendous new growth. The new leaves were much larger and the cut I had made had started to both heal over and it sprouted eentsy little mouse ear leaves!!!  Since I cut it down this morning, I'm curious to see how the stump behaves.



Learned about the humble umbel family today. Delicate but deadly. Tom Lee explained that the hemlock used to kill Socrates came from the umbel family not the coniferous tree. The study of poisonous plants must be full of fascinating stories. I work with a woman who, on the word of a neighbor, cooked dinner using a mushroom found on their property. She inadvertently poisoned her whole family. Her young son died. We tend to forget how powerful plant toxins are.

The spot in the center looks like a tiny dark red set of petals--shaped differently than the rest of the flowers.



2 comments:

  1. Lara,
    The picture of the Queen Anne's Lace is so beautiful. Looking down upon it gives me a new perspective of it.

    The story you shared about the mushroom is very sad. And, the guilt that mother must have... toxic plants would be an interesting topic to study. They probably all have different strategies for being toxic and I know some have only parts that are toxic. I think horsetail, although not toxic, has silica in it, which makes it unpleasant to graze upon.

    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plant identification requires an eye for details and accuracy. One lesson to teach all your learners is not to eat plants UNLESS the id is secure! This is essential and will help many learners as they develop their connection to the land.

    ReplyDelete